« Technology | Main | Vacation »

Friday, May 16, 2014

RIP Raccoon's Bookshelf

A friend of mine has finally thrown in the towel. The Raccoon's Bookshelf, a great repository of furry writing, has been shut down. The owner of the site felt it wasn't worth it to continue maintaining it.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this was a sad day for the furry writer's community as a whole.

Had I known this was coming, I would have taken over hosting the Bookshelf on my site, since I have tons of webspace that is not being utilized.

Goodbye Raccoon's Bookshelf; we will miss your presence.

The sad old warhorse

Posted by Kellan Meig'h at 8:44 PM
Edited on: Friday, May 16, 2014 9:17 PM
Categories: Friends, General Blogging, The Soapbox, Writings

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Well, That Was Different . . .

Sometimes, you don't need much warning to stay away . . .

Quibids warning from WOT  

Kellan, the old warhorse

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Yahoo! Was Hacked!

Thursday, 12 July 2012 @ 2330 hours -

Okay, according to the news, Yahoo! was hacked and 1/2 million passwords were stolen and dumped on the 'net for all to see.

If you have a Yahoo! account, change your password! Now!! Apparently Yahoo! doesn't encrypt the passwords. How dumb.

Kellan, the old warhorse

Monday, November 28, 2011

When It Rains . . .

Well, I guess this was coming . . .

The good;

I had taken a bit of advice from The Silver Coyote and started on a Chondroitin and Glucosamine regimen. Well, It actually did help things! My paws don't ache on a cold morning and my knees don't sound like Rice Crispies when I stand up. Thanks for the tip, SC!

The bad;

I am losing either the display inverter or the back light bulb for my trusty Dell Inspiron 1501. It's okay for a bit, then it just blacks out. I'm running it right now with a monitor backup, waiting until the screen blanks again. If I can shine a light on the screen and see images on it, the back light is bad. If it's entirely black, that would be the inverter. Just waiting now.

Anyway, still plugging away at chapter 15, some fun stuff happens in this one so maybe I'll have it hammered out soon. On a sour note, I've been called for jury duty again. No surprise, it's been thirteen months. Summons was right on time. Random selection my @$$!

Sorry for the rant.

Kellan, the disgusted old warhorse.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sorry For The Rant, But . . .

Okay, I'll start by saying "If you continue to read this post, it is a rant." There.

Yesterday, August 20th, the San Francisco 49'ers handed the Oakland Raiders their collective asses on a silver platter. Score? 17 to 3.

It's not so much that the Raiders were steamrolled, which by the way, I predicted to my niece, but it's the fact that there was violence afterwards.

After the game, some dumb-ass or dumb-asses decided he/they didn't like his black and silver being defeated so he/they shot two persons for wearing Niners clothing.

It's not bad enough that we have to spend money to get to the game, pay an outrageous price for tickets, endure warm beer and cold hot dogs (it balances out, right?), but do we need to wear ballistic vests to protect ourselves from post-game violence?

I'll put this forth; I do believe in the Second Amendment. Those few words are what keeps our land free. What I don't believe in is our judicial system. Illegal gun possession is treated very lightly by our mollycoddling judges. Collectively they are afraid to send someone to jail for illegally possessing a firearm of any kind. All they seem happy with is to enact further gun restrictions to make it harder on the legitimate firearms owners to continue to possess weapons of any sort. But I digress.

It's a sad statement that violence has to occur after (or during) sporting events. First the fan being beat up and hospitalized after a baseball game, and now this.

I am losing faith in my fellow man.

A very disgusted Kellan

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Social Networking and Virus Distribution

Just a word of warning.

If you use Deviant Art, Gaia or Aiwa, be forewarned. My daughter managed to download an infection of the main computer. Looks to be a Google Redirect but may contain a root kit and a trojan.

I can't get on-line with it, as the CPU usage in normal mode stays at 100%. Safe mode, I can't start Avast AV or get on-line. I'll have to put some diagnostic/disinfectant on a CD so I can fix this poor, hosed computer.

If I were ever to get face to face with a hacker that was responsible, I swear, that would be the last time they would ever be able to use a computer.


Kellan, the pissed off old warhorse.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Health Update

So, here's an update on things;

right now, my Tigress and I should be at a Burns Supper, enjoying good company, haggis, neeps, tatties and a wee bit 'o single malt whiskey. But no, here we are at home because the old warhorse is sick.

I have now made three trips to the emergency room with this kidney stone and I am no closer to having the stone broken up than I was at the first. Let me elaborate while I'm still lucid enough to do so.

After the first trip to the emergency room eight days ago on 1/21, I was left with the impression that I would be seen by a Urologist by the following Monday or Tuesday. What did transpire was a call on Monday, informing me of an appointment on 2/1(!) to be evaluated. Insane, huh?

After much complaining, I was granted an appointment for 1/27. Yeah, six days after the fact. In the meantime, I had to make a second trip to the emergency room due to unmanageable pain. I went to the appointment on 1/27, only to be left with more false hope. Made another trip to the emergency room that afternoon, too. That marks the third trip that I have endured. The arms are getting beat up by the numerous attempts as putting IV's in my body.

Okay, so I thought this urologist was on the up and up, so I took his statement at face value that they would get me into Oakland's facilities to get this stone broke up fairly quickly. Friday came and no call with an appointment. I called up to Oakland only to find out that my urologist had not contacted them and at any rate, it would be weeks before I am given an appointment. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?

So, here I am, in a drug-induced haze, just hoping for a quick end to this. It is apparent that Kaiser-Permanente does not care one bit just how bad I'm suffering. The did offer to do surgery to install a shunt to bypass things. Hey, if you're already in there, why not just go for the stone? Am I missing something here? My wife seems to think that the shunt (stent) would hold things open so I could urinate until the stone is broken up but that makes no sense. I mean, come on, it's blocked for fuck's sake! How is holding things open below it gonna help things? The fucking stone is the blockage!!

I'm in pain again, as you might guess. Actually, I'm thinking I might need yet another trip to the emergency room for a round of stiff pain meds.

Gah, I'm so fucking sick right now . . .

Kellan, the sick old warhorse

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Too Much Stress!


What's so hard about selling a 1973 International 1/2 ton pickup? Between low-ballers, crack-heads, tweakers and no-shows, I'm ready to scream! Is $2,000 too much for a daily driver? Hmm? Opinions, please

Kellan, the aggravated old warhorse.

Posted by Kellan Meig'h at 4:29 PM
Edited on: Sunday, July 25, 2010 10:51 PM
Categories: Family, Friends, General Blogging, Ranting, The Soapbox

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Tuesday's Musings

Well, I thought I would share my thoughts about the last few days. Last Friday, I was putting my truck away for the day when I noticed something in my work boot. It had gotten into a position to irritate my foot so I removed my shoe to find out what it was. Out fell a quarter and a penny! Doh!

Weird stuff part two-

I didn't watch the Superbowl, mainly because I was busy disinfecting a computer. Yeah, not a way to spend Sunday but I was begged, literally, to fix their computer for them. What a mess it was, too.

I had never ran up against a virus that prevented any process except a browser from running! To make matters worse, it managed to block the computer from running in SAFE mode on more than a few occasions, forcing a reboot to try for SAFE mode again. Nine and a half hours of frustration. You can guess where they were surfing ...

On to my favorite intrusion alarm duo. They are Ademco Vista 128B alarms and I have learned they are not user friendly. I spent about 3 hours just putting a few users into the systems. Since I'm not a certified installer, I don't have access to the Vista software that would make programming much simpler. Argh!

So, that leads up to now. My tigress is sitting here, pondering her case of chicken pox. Yup. Now, I really can't remember if I had them as a child so I might be infected. Won't know for a few days until they have had time to incubate in my system. I'm hoping I don't have them. Oh Well ...


Kellan, the old warhorse

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday Morning Addendum

My personal thoughts on the FurCon~

We crashed Saturday night kinda early but you have to remember, this is a Con and there's booze involved.

About 0100 hours, a roving party made its way through our hall. Not too noisy but a party looking for a place to light anyway. I finally returned to sleep only to be awakened at 0230 hours with another party, louder this time. Not too loud but definitely alcohol fueled.

An hour later at 0330 hours, knocking on the door. This time the roving party was looking for Ono-somebody's room. They had one young man with them, maybe still in his teens and most likely only still standing due to his two friends holding him up. Had to inform them this was not Ono-something's room and turn them away. They were decent enough to ask if I wanted to join their party. I declined.

Around 0414 hours, more noise. This time, I swear on a stack of "Destiny's Change" novels that it sounded like a young female in the throws of passion. No shit! She was asking her partner (I hope she had a partner and this was not a solo act!) to be rougher with her! Yikes!!

So, that brings us up to now, 0930 hours. Here I sit, still waiting for the coffee I made (not bad, btw) and the pain pill I took a few minutes ago to kick in. When it does, I will most likely feel like a human being again. I have to reiterate, the chairs they have in the various meeting rooms are nicely cushioned but the odd angle of the back, coupled with the squishiness of the seat combine to make a very effective torture device for the old warhorse's back. I hate getting old.

Cameras. My thoughts.

As some of you might know from looking at my galleries, I have been using Kodak cameras for a few years now. I actually started out in the digital realm using a Sony Mavica FD-88 camera. Yeah, the one that uses real floppy disks as the storage medium. Max size of the pictures was 1280 X 960 pixels w/o interpolation. It used up its Sony-proprietary batteries at an alarming rate and the floppies only held three or four pictures. I have to admit it did take decent pictures as long as your subject was not too far away. Landscapes did have severe jpeg artifacts in them.

The next camera was a Kodak C7430, a 4 mega pixel camera. It really seemed like it was a great point-and-shoot but it had its limitations, too. One was the SD cards. Max size was 256 Mb that it would accept. It does take very nice general purpose pics with not too much jpeg artifacts. Batteries are very slow to charge, even with a one hour charger.

This camera had its failings when asked to take pictures in less than optimum conditions such as in a room without the flash or taking pictures of a performance on stage. Very blurry shots were the norm.

The next one was a Kodak Z885 that was quickly replaced under warranty with a Kodak Z1285. Virtually identical cameras except the 885 was an eight mega pixel and the 1285 is a twelve mega pixel. A very nice point and shoot but it still has some limitations. That less than optimum conditions issue plus some very long delays between shutter press and picture taken, sometimes as long as three seconds! No kidding! This caused me to take many 'too-late' shots or if I tried to anticipate the lag, I took the picture too soon. Very frustrating. The pics that it takes are very good, however with very little jpeg artifacts.

That brings us to now. We obtained a Canon Powershot SX20IS for the con, street price of $399 USD but it ends up on sale quite often. This is a very nice camera, having everything between full auto for my tigress to full manual for total control over my shots. It will also accept a Canon Speedlite external flash should I want to add one, which I most likely will. It's not a point-and-shoot but not a full blown DSLR either. It's a very nice transitional camera or it could be used as a backup camera for a DSLR user.

This is a twelve megapixel camera and after using it this weekend, I am very impressed with it. The pictures it takes are just outstanding and it powers from plain old alkaline AA batteries (4). Weight is very light since I wore it around my neck all day without complaint. You can use the viewfinder or the LCD display and the viewfinder has diopter correction in case you wear glasses and want to take them off to shoot.

A 2Gb card will give you 676 pictures (!) so I haven't even come close to running out of space yet. I will post some shots with links to the full sized (4000 X 3000) originals for your inspection.

I could recommend this camera heavily without hesitation. It has one quirk that there is a remedy for. The fact of the matter is the lens is not threaded for filters. It may look like it's threaded but if you look closely and turn the camera, you'll see the grooves are just that; grooves adn not threads. A company called Lensmate makes an adapter that bayonets onto the lens just like the existing hood attaches. Onto this adapter you can attach ordinary 58mm filters. It's dirt cheap so I'll be getting one. Even if I'm not using a polarizer or other filter, just having a neutral density filter in place will protect the existing lens from scratches and other damage.

I guess I should wrap up this rather lengthy post and get ready to go again.


Kellan, the old warhorse

Monday, December 21, 2009

Of Spammers and Forums

I have a few forums that I administrate and it is kind of hilarious the attempts at spamming the board. Most of it is by 'Bot' that can sign up on PHPBB automatically. One forum I set a delay of one minute before it would accept a registration and that stopped the spammers cold. The other forum, one that refuses to upgrade to a higher revision, I set for administrator approval. Now this is where it gets funny.

Almost all signups are by 'Bot' so the bot chooses an avatar for the 'user'. I took the default avatar and changed it with Paint Shop Pro into the following icon-


You know not a soul would pick that icon! Well ... maybe a few would. Anyway, after I see they're using this avatar, I go to Stop Forum Spam and check their I.P. address against known spammers. If they show there, they're gone. I usualy ban their IP, too. In drastic cases, I report them to their ISP while I'm at it.

I have to do some Christmas shopping later today so I need to get ready.

Take care,

Kellan, the old warhorse

Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Longest Week

Yeah, it was a long week for the Old Warhorse.

Monday, I was still under the weather so I didn't work that day. Kinda wished I didn't work Tuesday, however. That was the storm that brought forth every roof leak that our school district had. I was on the roofs myself, armed with a tube of Henry's roof goop. O joy, O thrill.

I guess I said something at one time or another about the 'Strip Mining' that occurred inside my work van while I was off. My heavy duty rain jacket was one of the items mined from it. I was issued a replacement that was just short of criminal. It stunk like a cheap child's pool toy and it was so thin, a sneeze was all that was required to rip it. At least it kept the Henry's off my clothes. Didn't keep me dry, however.

Thursday brought some heat, around 80 degrees or so. Today (Saturday) was nice.

Doesn't do a thing for my sinus infection or chest cold, though. I hate rain because that means I will be on a roof somewhere, trying in vain to stop it from leaking.

Sorry for the rant but I needed to vent.

Kellan, the sick old warhorse

Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday's Blog

OK, I guess I need to vent so bear with me.

A forum I belong to had a recent post that managed to end badly before it was locked. It surrounded the idea that homosexual rights would be the downfall of the church.

Before I go any further, I'll point out that I am straight/hetro, married, children/grandchildren. You might even add the tag "Mormon" to that.

The discussion was quite heated at times but it all ended with the original poster actually (verbally) attacking another because of his church affiliations. I have to admit that this was just a new low to the board. I actually felt ashamed of what went on.

I have friends that while not many in number, I can say they are true friends. I have Pentecostal friends, Mormon friends, Heathen friends and Christian friends. I have friends who are straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual (I think) and transsexual. That particular transsexual friend I consider to be a very close friend as are a few special folks from the SoCal area. You all know who you are.

So, as you see, I have a a few friends. Not a lot but more than one or two. Those that aren't straight/hetro like me, I still think fondly of and in a way, care for. They may be different in a way but when it comes down to it, we are all members of the human race. Now here comes the theological part.

It would be wrong of me to discriminate against any of my friends or those like them, well, because it wouldn't be right. I am very accepting and tolerant of such things. Sexuality is something we are born with. If we are straight, gay, bi or trapped in the wrong gender of body, that was how we were born. We did not learn this, it wasn't some disease that caused this, it's how we are. Now, for a church to openly discriminate against another group or even individual, that is wrong on so many different levels. It's darn near homophobic in a way. And it's disturbing to me.

I said I'm Mormon. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the model LDS member and I might better serve as a bad example to other LDS members. I have to say that I didn't agree with my church getting behind the Prop 8 debacle. I was all for it because it just seems to be a logical progression. Back in the biblical days, homosexuality would have been a death sentence in some circles. In today's world, it is very common. It's time for the churches of today to wake up and realize this is how it is.

I don't actually expect the LDS church (or any other of those 'Christian' churches for that matter) to be accepting of alternate (read: not straight/hetro) lifestyles. It would be nice if we could all just get on the same page, agree that this is how it will be, accept our gay/lesbian/bi/transsexual neighbors for who they are and what they are and just get on with life.

There are some churches that have seen fit to include everyone in their congregations but a few seem hellbent to exclude a large number of folks for being different. Remember I said 'homophobic'? That's what it looks like to me. Maybe I'm too accepting but I'm still sure I'm right in this matter. I was shocked that these churches actually got behind Prop 8 in the first place! Religion has no business in politics and vice versa. Maybe churches that do so should lose their tax exempt status if they want to be in politics. Nonetheless they need to keep out of this.

My hope is that someday, the churches wake up and smell the coffee. Be accepting. Don't discriminate in the name of God. Don't wave the bible around for attention without reading it first. Love your fellow man/woman.

Again, my apologies for venting.

Kellan, the saddened old warhorse.

Posted by Kellan Meig'h at 9:39 PM
Edited on: Saturday, August 29, 2009 7:34 AM
Categories: Family, Friends, General Blogging, Ranting, The Soapbox

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

An Unnerving Situation

Well, the old warhorse is sitting here on pins and needles this Wednesday night, wondering what tomorrow will bring ...

Tomorrow is technically the last work day of the month but that's not what worries me. As some of you well know, I work for a school district. I work as a Communications Technician, which means clocks, bells, public address systems, cable television, intrusion alarms, fire alarms and to some very small degree, telephones.

My department is part of maintenance. Always has been. Tomorrow, however says whether I will still be in maintenance or not.

You see, the director in charge of computer/internet technology has decided that he should have phones and cable television in his little empire that he's building for himself. That means the money that was in our budget goes over to his budget, along with one technician. Possibly me. Or not.

As I have said, I'm not the low man. Our leadman has said it should be offered and passed over by seniority, since we are a union shop. We think the director has eyes on the best phone tech but we can't be sure of that right now. That would not be me, by the way. At any rate that means the leadman would pass, The tech that has the most experience would pass, then I would pass. That leaves the 'new guy', who has said that he would move over to the other department just to keep his job. I know, that deal stinks. Don't think I don't feel bad about it because I do.

Honestly, if I had the skills, I think I would move on over to the other department, if not just for the fresh air. I just don't have the skills, which is a long story for another day. It suffices to say, this deal stinks all the way around.

What of the union? I dunno. I think they're still scrambling to figure out what to do. I think it's too little, too late.

And what of Human Resources? Again, I dunno. They've been out of the loop ever since this little fiasco started.

The bad thing is this; if we all pass on this move for some reason, the money is still gone. One of us will get laid off (the new guy, who has a family to feed) and the job would go to the outside. Again, this stinks to high heaven. I guess I should point out the fact the 'new guy' as I refer to him by has actually been with the district about two years.

The real scary part is the possibility that I may be forced to move over to the new department against my wishes and then get let go at a later date because I can't do the job. That sucks but it could happen.

I really hate to see someone forced to move like this. It's wrong on so many different levels. I guess it's just the way business is done these days. Screw the employee, he/she will get over it in time.

I guess you can see why I'm on edge.

Kel, the old warhorse

Saturday, July 04, 2009


I usually don't do this ...

Tony Stewart should be banned from NASCAR permanently!

He deliberately turned down into Kyle Busch on the last lap of the Coke Zero© 400, sticking him into the wall hard so he could win. What a cheap shot!

What a f***ed up @$$hole!

(A very steamed up) old warhorse.

Posted by Kellan Meig'h at 8:20 PM
Categories: Ranting, The Soapbox

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tuesday's Blog

OK boys and girls, I usually don't rant like this but I felt compelled.

As of tomorrow, the state of California will begin paying its bills with IOU's. What does that mean? I means my paycheck at the end of July will be a worthless piece of paper.

The Governator has declared that he will veto any package to balance California's budget woes if it includes tax increases. Maybe it's time to recall the Gov.

Grrr ...

Kellan, the old warhorse

Sunday, May 03, 2009

It started very innocuously ...

This all happened on a forum that I belong to, just to set the tone for ya -

A new poster to this forum did the classic "Wall Of Text" by posting a story via a thread on the main section of the forum. they added a poll for us to express our feelings about the story.

I started to read it but had to stop several times due to "Wall Of Text" induced eye strain. I kept thinking to myself, "I have read this story somewhere before." By the way, the poster gave a link to the story on Scribd.com, where they had uploaded this story to.

I guess I should state that this was an incomplete story that the poster alluded to completing either by the original author or they would complete it, if enough interest could be generated.

Those people that read the thread on the forum warned the poster that completing the story w/o the original author's permission was treading on thin ice. Those warnings were answered by some very angry responses.

By this point, one member posted that he stopped reading the story. The poster asked why. The member stated it was boring. The poster typed/said, "How much did you read? The first sentence?" It was out of hand by now.

Meanwhile, I found the original author and got the straight scoop. The story wasn't abandoned as suggested by the poster. It was a filler for a magazine called American Journal of Anthropomorphism. Apparently there wasn't enough illustrations to fill 128 pages of the magazine so he used his story as a filler in issues #1 through 3. By Issue #4, they had 128 pages of illustrations and didn't need it. Issue #5 wasn't printed due to issues with the publisher. He wasn't amused by the theft of his story, unfinished or not.

Back at the forum, the admin/moderator had had enough of this person's arrogance. He locked the thread and issued a warning that further abuse, etc. would result in the "Fall Of The Banhammer." OK, problem solved, right? Nope.

The poster starts a new thread, using the admin's name for the thread name, and calls him out. No shit. I cringed even before I opened the thread to see what had been typed.

In the largest font possible, the poster pretty much told off the admin. I won't go into specifics (those of you that know him can ask him directly) but yeah, as you can guess, the banhammer dropped. Account deleted, posts deleted. It was deserving.

The owner of the story went to Scribd.com and had the story removed due to DCMA violations. Good show.

According to the admin in question, this person tried several times on our forum to drum up support for this story. Why they just didn't finish it w/o permission, I don't know. Why they didn't contact the original author (which took me all of 5 minutes to locate, btw) is beyond me.

Anyway, there's your little piece of drama for the week.

Slainte Mhath,

Kellan, the old warhorse

Monday, April 27, 2009

Something Of Interest

Just something I want to share with all of you-

I keep getting this spam in my inbox on another website I own/maintain.

<paste in crap body text from spam email>

Dear Website Owner,

65% of people searching the Internet will never find your web site unless you're ranked on first page of Google, MSN, or Yahoo. If I help you obtain as much as 4 times more WEB traffic to your online business by promoting you to the first page of the search engines would you be interested?

Our company is on the first page when you search on Google for our primary search term "SEO Company." We would like to do the same for your web site so you can come up for your main keywords as well? All of our processes use the most ethical "white hat" Search Engine Optimization techniques that will not get your website banned or penalized.

This special SEO program includes:

• No upfront fees

• A month-to-month program

• More traffic guaranteed

Please reply to my email and I would be happy to send you a proposal.



Leema Dk



91362 - USA

</paste of spam/scam/garbage>

OK, so this company wants to help me out by making sure that if somebody searches for "Kellan Meig'h", they will find me. You know, that's not a bad idea, just in the off chance somebody couldn't find me. And this sounds good dollar-wise, too. No up front charges seems to be pretty confident they can help.

So, try this: go to ask.com, msn.com, yahoo.com and google.com, the big four search sites. Type in Kellan Meig'h and see what happens. Amazingly enough, I seem to be on top of all of the search engines. Good metatags is all it took. No secrets, no hokus-pokus. I'll share this little secret for free, too. Don't send me any $$$ for this information-it's all free on the 'net!

The thing that stands out about this particular scammer/spammer is this: do a search on google.com for "SEO Company" just like they ask and check the output. Pretty scary, huh? Notice they never mention their company name? Did I mention the person sending this email used a gmail account that has no ties or suggestions that this mail came from an SEO Company? Did I also mention that the address is non-existant? Verdugo Way is in Camarillo, CA, by the way. The mail's originating IP address was in Tustin, for those that were curious.

If you need help with metatags, there are numerous sites on the 'net that will tell you how to optimize your site. You don't need this scammer/spammer to help you do what you can do for yourself. If you have questions, email me and the Old Warhorse promises that I'll help you out. Honest. No strings attached. Well, maybe a link back to my site ...

As a side note, the new pain management medication the doctor prescribed today seem to be helping as the Old Warhorse is not feeling that much pain tonight. A litle pain, but it's very tolerable. Now, if I can sleep better and actually get some rest, I will be one happy stallion.

Slainte mhath! (Scots Gaelic for Good Health)

Kellan, the Old Warhorse

Sunday, November 30, 2008

I'm Not Sure How I Feel ...

I have finally lost all faith in my fellow shoppers. This is something I thought would never happen. Read on ...

Sought: Wal-Mart shoppers who trampled NY worker

By COLLEEN LONG, Associated Press Writer Colleen Long – Sat Nov 29, 11:48 am ET

NEW YORK – Police were reviewing video from surveillance cameras in an attempt to identify who trampled to death a Wal-Mart worker after a crowd of post-Thanksgiving shoppers burst through the doors at a suburban store and knocked him down.

Criminal charges were possible, but identifying individual shoppers in Friday's video may prove difficult, said Detective Lt. Michael Fleming, a Nassau County police spokesman.

Other workers were trampled as they tried to rescue the man, and customers stepped over him and became irate when officials said the store was closing because of the death, police and witnesses said.

At least four other people, including a woman who was eight months pregnant, were taken to hospitals for observation or minor injuries. The store in Valley Stream on Long Island closed for several hours before reopening.

Police said about 2,000 people were gathered outside the Wal-Mart doors before its 5 a.m. opening at a mall about 20 miles east of Manhattan. The impatient crowd knocked the employee, identified by police as Jdimytai Damour, to the ground as he opened the doors, leaving a metal portion of the frame crumpled like an accordion.

"This crowd was out of control," Fleming said. He described the scene as "utter chaos," and said the store didn't have enough security.

Dozens of store employees trying to fight their way out to help Damour were also getting trampled by the crowd, Fleming said. Shoppers stepped over the man on the ground and streamed into the store.

Damour, 34, of Queens, was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead around 6 a.m., police said. The exact cause of death has not been determined.

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital, where she and the baby were reported to be OK, said police Sgt. Anthony Repalone.

Kimberly Cribbs, who witnessed the stampede, said shoppers were acting like "savages."

"When they were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling `I've been on line since yesterday morning,'" she said. "They kept shopping."

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., based in Bentonville, Ark., called the incident a "tragic situation" and said the employee came from a temporary agency and was doing maintenance work at the store. It said it tried to prepare for the crowd by adding staffers and outside security workers, putting up barricades and consulting police.

"Despite all of our precautions, this unfortunate event occurred," senior Vice President Hank Mullany said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those impacted."

A woman reported being trampled by overeager customers at a Wal-Mart opening Friday in Farmingdale, about 15 miles east of Valley Stream, Suffolk County police said. She suffered minor injuries, but finished shopping before filling the report, police said.

Shoppers around the country line up early outside stores on the day after Thanksgiving in the annual bargain-hunting ritual known as Black Friday. It got that name because it has historically been the day when stores broke into profitability for the full year.

Items on sale at the Valley Stream Wal-Mart included a Samsung 50-inch Plasma HDTV for $798, a Bissel Compact Upright Vacuum for $28, a Samsung 10.2 megapixel digital camera for $69 and DVDs such as "The Incredible Hulk" for $9.

This is just a complete tragedy that should have never happened. I realize you need to get out there, spend like crazy and beat your fellow shopper to the best buys, but to kill to get that best deal? Come on, people! This is utter BullShit! This is why I avoid shopping on Black Friday like the plague!

My only hope and concern is these people get prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and by my thinking, the store manager should be included for hot keeping the shoppers in check!

Years ago, here in a nearby K-Mart, a manager was arrested for inciting a riot. He was standing in the doorway to the stock area, throwing Cabbage Patch dolls to a very agitated crowd. He was told not to do it again only to start back up before the police were out the door. They returned, arrested him and put three pallets of dolls out for the crowd to calmly pick through with police standing to keep control.

*Shakes head in disgust*

What is this world coming to?

On a lighter note, we went to get a Christmas tree with my brother and his wife in the Santa Cruz mountains. I will post pics in the gallery in the next few days.

Saying a prayer for that unfortunate Wal-Mart worker,


Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday's Blog

OK, so the Chinese Internet co. got back to me with a price to protect my ModelAutoRacing.com branding. How about $750 USD for 5 years? Hmm, how important is it to have the Asian domain extensions? The bad part is the fact that if I don't use them, some other outfit will. Geez ...

Anyway, updates. Did you ever wonder what Torvald's Franciscas looked like?


OK, for the stories:

The last chapter of "The Price Of Worship", #25 will be posted for Saturday along with Chapter 15 of "A Loss Of Rights." Hope you all enjoyed the former and are still enjoying the latter!


Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wednesday's Ramblings

Here's a little piece out of the newspaper for you:

"SAN FRANCISCO — California's highest court agreed Wednesday to hear several legal challenges to the state's new ban on same-sex marriage but refused to allow gay couples to resume marrying before it rules.

The California Supreme Court accepted three lawsuits seeking to nullify Proposition 8, a voter-approved constitutional amendment that overruled the court's decision in May that legalized gay marriage.

All three cases claim the measure abridges the civil rights of a vulnerable minority group. They argue that voters alone did not have the authority to enact such a significant constitutional change.

As is its custom when it takes up cases, the court elaborated little. However, the justices did say they want to address what effect, if any, a ruling upholding the amendment would have on the estimated 18,000 same-sex marriages that were sanctioned in California before Election Day.

Gay rights groups and local governments petitioning to overturn the ban were joined by the measure's sponsors and Attorney General Jerry Brown in urging the Supreme Court to consider whether Proposition 8 passes legal muster.

The initiative's opponents had also asked the court to grant a stay of the measure, which would have allowed gay marriages to begin again while the justices considered the cases. The court denied that request

The justices directed Brown and lawyers for the Yes on 8 campaign to submit arguments by Dec. 19 on why the ballot initiative should not be nullified. It said lawyers for the plaintiffs, who include same-sex couples who did not wed before the election, must respond before Jan. 5."

Maybe this will all get all straightened out soon.

Take care till I blog to ya next,



Monday, November 17, 2008

Monday's Strange Blog

OK, the old warhorse is a few dollars lighter this morning. I received an email from a Chinese Internet registrar company asking if it's OK for them to register one of my domain names with a 'Kendon Group'.

It seems this 'Kendon Group' told this company that they were affiliated with me in some way. Well, I had to shut this down fast. I fired off a return email to the contact, who I might point out used excellent English in his message, that any attempt to use my domain name in any way would bring the old warhorse's wrath down upon both Kendon and themselves.

To that extent, I registered the .org, .net, .info, .biz and .us too, just in case. Can't get the chinese .com.cn one or the Taiwanese .tw but I think I have all the major players covered.

Some days it just doesn't pay to read your email. Now I need to do that with 3 other domains. Whee!!

Have a nice week,


Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Quick Update For You ...

If your curious how my fellow Californians voted, here's the link to map of how the vote went.

Proposition 8 

Aslaug, thanks for the kind words. As I grow older, my horizons seem to be getting broader. It may have something to do with having some very wonderful friends that help me to open my eyes. That includes you, Aslaug.

My daughter told me her core beliefs over this situation (prop. 8) and they were as follows: (her words, not mine)

"I hate it when a bunch of religious f**ktards screw things up for the rest of us. They need someone to walk up to them and slap the living sh*t out of them and tell them to get a life! This is not the dark ages! Why can a man and a woman that hate each other vehemently get married and nobody gives a sh*t but let two men or two women that love one another deeply try to get married and they get barred from doing so!"

*starts getting up on soapbox*

You can probably tell she feels strongly about this matter. So do I. What really p*ssed us both off was this issue the naysayers were using, stating that marriage is taught in schools and therefore gay marriage will be taught in school. Between my daughter asking her online friends and the fact that myself and a number of my family work for our local school district, this is total BS that gay marriage will be taught. It sounded pretty convincing on television, though. Gah, I hate politics ...

*climbs off soapbox*


See my comments for clarification, if it really will clarify it. Here's what I commented:


I guess I should clarify this because I agree with Aslaug wholly in this matter.

What was said was marriage is taught in 95% of the schools so gay marriage will be taught. That's what pulled all the votes to get Prop 8 passed.

What we were mad about is the fact that as far as we could research and determine, marriage was not taught at all in school. Another lie to get what they wanted, Prop 8 passing because of lies as far as mydaughter was concerned.


I'll still say it again- I don't have a problem with it and I will agree that if gay marrigae were discussed with our young children, maybe prejudice would not prevail. I still see nothing wrong with it.It's not my cup of tea but hey, that's just my opinion. I say if they love one another, let them marry!

Hey California, are you listening?



Saturday, May 31, 2008

Saturday's Blog, the last one for May 2008

Just a (not so short) blog from the Old Warhorse himself ...

I had intended for some time to send a present to an on-line friend overseas. I didn't think it was such a big issue to do such a thing until I went to the post office to send it. What I was confronted with once I arrived was just beyond belief to the Old Warhorse.

  1. I went in search of the appropriate forms and a Priority Mail mailer of some sort that might hold the object in question. What I discovered was something that shouldn't have been: a huge mess and no forms or mailers.
  2. I went to the front counter to ask for the desired items only to be told by the lady behind the counter in poor, broken English that the items I desired were somewhere in that mess I had just rummaged through. BTW, I straightened the mess out to some degree just to make it easier to see where I had searched.
  3. After three or more requests that included the information that there were no forms or mailers in that mess only to be told to search for them again, I asked for the manager. It was apparent that the manager had consumed a bowl of stupid that morning for breakfast, telling me I needed to go to the pile of stuff on the shelf and look again. I left the post office in disgust, thinking I will never try that again.
  4. I went across town to the UPS store, walking in with the item in question. I was told Yes, they could sent this item to Denmark for me. They were very helpful in helping me to find the right size mailer to put the item into and weigh it for me. I was at that point informed that it would take $130 USD (one hundred and thirty!) to send said item!
  5. After they propped me up against the counter and heavily administered smelling salts to revive me, I was shown other less-expensive ways to send said item. After a still substantial amount of $$$USD was exchanged, the item was sent on its way to its destination in the town of Nibe ... via the US Postal Service ... 8-(

OK, so I finally got the item in question off in the mail with a promise from them that it would make it there at some point in time. At least I feel vindicated in a way, the item did get mailed as I had promised.

So anyway, the Old Warhorse has been at home this week, having thrown my back out Tuesday. My back is very sore and tender to the touch at the zone of L4 in the lower back, making it hard to even sit down in my easy chair. I've been taking pain pills (Vicodin) so as a result my mind has been dulled slightly. Consequently, I haven't been very productive as far as the current Immortal Warriors story is concerned. I did post Chapter 3  for your reading pleasure but I'm still working on chapter 5. I hope to become more productive in a few days once my dependence on pills lessens.

At any rate, that's where things stand at the moment.

SC, you're still in my thoughts and prayers. Drop me a line or two if and only if you have time to do so. If you're too busy, I understand fully.

Aslaug, keep your eyes peeled for a care package. 8-D

Bye for now,


Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My publisher strikes back!

OK gang, here goes-

Those of you that know me also know I recently wrote a novel. My publisher, PublishAmerica was bullied by Amazon.com over the rights to print their books. Amazon bought out BookSurge and they need to recoup the cost of this aquisition. They told (bullied) them to turn over all 30,000+ titles to them to print themselves which my publisher didn't do.

Does this sound wrong to you? It sure sounds wrong to me. A third party gets to print my book and report how many they printed. Oh, and by the way, they didn't want to pay full royalties to the authors, either.

Where am I going with this? Just letting everyone know that they can get my book at a 50% discount through their online store! Whee!! This sale is through the 28,th of April. Get it at a discount or forever be quiet.

BTW, I will be riding a bicycle to work and back three days a week. This will save $25 bucks a week, no less.

Blog to ya later,


Posted by Kellan Meig'h at 7:42 PM
Categories: Ranting, The Soapbox, Writings