« Humor | Main | Photography »

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A General Health Rant

Sorry for this rant but I must get this off my chest.

Recently, I was having trouble with high blood pressure and a high pulse rate after waking up at night for no apparent reason. At one point, my heart rate was over 100 (!) and my blood pressure at that time was 180 over 91 (!!). I had my tigress take me to the hospital emergency room, since my numbers were not coming down very fast.

While we were there, my better half offered up that I would stop breathing at night. Well, to make a long story short, I was diagnosed with moderate obstructive sleep apnea. This is when your muscles in your throat and tongue relax, allowing the tongue to slip back into the throat, blocking the airway. Your body then wakes you up enough to begin breathing again. I had one-hundred and forty seven such event in seven point two hours of sleep on my test night.

I have Kaiser for health insurance so they supplied me with a CPAP machine to try for a few days, one week, to be exact. This machine works by increasing pressure to your airway, opening that blocked area to keep you breathing. After the first night, the effect was dramatic. I finally felt rested for a change.

I started using the loaner CPAP machine on a Monday night and by Saturday morning, I was out of bed and ready to go by 7:30 am! Normally, I didn't get out of bed before the crack of noon on a Saturday.

Anyway, I had to give back the Kaiser loaner and that night, I tried to sleep normally. No go. I woke up this morning feeling like crap. I was tired, achy and grumpy. Just like before.

I was told by Kaiser that it would be five to ten working days before my personal machine arrives via FedEx or UPS. That means all of the good that the CPAP machine did for me will be undone. In talking to a fellow worker that has been diagnosed, he informed me that he had been waiting two weeks so far, but the machine was on its way, according to a message from Kaiser Sleep Lab.

Did I mention this machine is being fulfilled by a company in my city? I can't just go pick it up, because it's not done that way. The order has to go from my city, to a city four cities away that has FedEx and UPS terminals, then back to me. I can't rent one, since that would need a prescription. Said script could be obtained, in a week for a Doctor to write it out, then mailed to me, another week. Can't just go get the script, either, according to the Lab.

Oh Well, maybe I'll get lucky and my machine will arrive in three days, like I was told in the first place, not the five to ten working days that my co-worker has waited (so far).

Sorry for the rant.

A disgusted old warhorse

Monday, November 28, 2011

When It Rains . . .

Well, I guess this was coming . . .

The good;

I had taken a bit of advice from The Silver Coyote and started on a Chondroitin and Glucosamine regimen. Well, It actually did help things! My paws don't ache on a cold morning and my knees don't sound like Rice Crispies when I stand up. Thanks for the tip, SC!

The bad;

I am losing either the display inverter or the back light bulb for my trusty Dell Inspiron 1501. It's okay for a bit, then it just blacks out. I'm running it right now with a monitor backup, waiting until the screen blanks again. If I can shine a light on the screen and see images on it, the back light is bad. If it's entirely black, that would be the inverter. Just waiting now.

Anyway, still plugging away at chapter 15, some fun stuff happens in this one so maybe I'll have it hammered out soon. On a sour note, I've been called for jury duty again. No surprise, it's been thirteen months. Summons was right on time. Random selection my @$$!

Sorry for the rant.

Kellan, the disgusted old warhorse.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sorry For The Rant, But . . .

Okay, I'll start by saying "If you continue to read this post, it is a rant." There.

Yesterday, August 20th, the San Francisco 49'ers handed the Oakland Raiders their collective asses on a silver platter. Score? 17 to 3.

It's not so much that the Raiders were steamrolled, which by the way, I predicted to my niece, but it's the fact that there was violence afterwards.

After the game, some dumb-ass or dumb-asses decided he/they didn't like his black and silver being defeated so he/they shot two persons for wearing Niners clothing.

It's not bad enough that we have to spend money to get to the game, pay an outrageous price for tickets, endure warm beer and cold hot dogs (it balances out, right?), but do we need to wear ballistic vests to protect ourselves from post-game violence?

I'll put this forth; I do believe in the Second Amendment. Those few words are what keeps our land free. What I don't believe in is our judicial system. Illegal gun possession is treated very lightly by our mollycoddling judges. Collectively they are afraid to send someone to jail for illegally possessing a firearm of any kind. All they seem happy with is to enact further gun restrictions to make it harder on the legitimate firearms owners to continue to possess weapons of any sort. But I digress.

It's a sad statement that violence has to occur after (or during) sporting events. First the fan being beat up and hospitalized after a baseball game, and now this.

I am losing faith in my fellow man.

A very disgusted Kellan

Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Computer Is Dead; Long Live The Computer . . .

An update on the situation;

Further attempts to recue the ailing computer were made this evening to no avail. I hit it with a bunch of things that could not eradicate the problem rootkit and redirect trojan.

In the end, I could not get it to start up, despite using the recovery console. Looks like I'll be purchasing a new hdd and doing a rebuild. Oh joy . . .

Looks like my evenings will be full now . . .

Kellan, the very irked old warhorse

Sunday, March 27, 2011

What's Up With This?

Sorry about the rant but this is just something I have to do to get this off my chest.

A forum that I haunt(?), uses Cloudflare , a proxy server of sorts that supposedly protects your website and speeds up performance. Now just to clarify, i do not own, admin nor mod the board in question.

What I am fed up with is the various "Error Pages" that I see when trying to access that board. At least twice a week, I am greeted with the classic "Go Away, Not Available, Come Back Later" page. Generally that means give it up for the evening because the site isn't coming back until tomorrow. Doesn't look like Cloudflare improves things if you ask me. If anything, access to that board is worse now that Cloudflare is being used.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. It just makes it so hard to communicate with the folks that are reading my stories.

A (very disgusted) Kellan, the old warhorse

Thursday, December 24, 2009

December 24th

Everyone wish me luck-the Tigress and I will be going out to find a few more gifts at the last minute. At least I have my personal shopping done!

Kellan, the old warhorse

Posted by Kellan Meig'h at 11:17 AM
Categories: Family, Friends, Over My Head

Monday, December 14, 2009

Monday Evening

Okay, so I have installed XP Pro and a few productivity programs so I can work for the moment. I can say with all honesty some programmers have never used their programs. Teric, this is not aimed at you, just so you know.

I tried to install Thunderbird and Firefox on my laptop only to be thwarted at every turn when I tried to copy over my files/settings. It finally came down to brute force that I was able to do so but not the accepted way.

I installed Thunderbird and then brute-force copied from my old installation the whole program and identity file. Same for the favorites in Firefox. Unorthodox but it worked. I was aided by turning the old drive into an external USB device for copying. Added a whole $13.oo USD to the grand total but what the hey, it worked.

Anyway, the laptop had never ran so crisp. I'm pleased, so far.

Kellan, the old warhorse

Monday's Musings

Okay, I did the deed and my laptop is no longer saddled with Vista, the worst piece of malware to be found on the Internet. It now runs XP Pro SP3 and I am so happy.

Of interest, if you have a laptop and you're installing a new Hdd, it might behoove you to obtain a USB enclosure to simplify transferring your documents. That's what I will be doing later on today, when I go get some Sudafed for my stuffy head.

Take care,


Saturday, December 12, 2009

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

Okay, what's the last thing you want to see on your computer screen?

"Operating system not found"

Yeah, I was greeted by that bit of information this morning when I attempted to boot my laptop. Several reboots later I was up and running but let me tell you, I'm kinda in a rush now to back up my information and get this over with.

I now have a Western Digital 320 Gb Hdd to replace the original and hopefully, I will have my laptop up and running XP Pro in a few days.

Tomorrow's my birthday so I will be away from the 'net to spend some time with my family.

Take care,

Kellan, the old warhorse

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sunday's ... Troubles ...

So, here I sit, attempting to put thoughts to text. I'm not being very successful, either.

I'm not sure what happened but I have lost all inspiration to work on several works that I haave been thrashing. I'm not sure if it's the heat, the heavy workload or my brother's troubles, but for some reason I have grown cold to either story. My inspiration is gone.

I'll type some more when I feel more motivated.

Kellan, the old warhorse

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wednesday's Blog-Viewpoint

Intense Pain is my new companion ...

This is my second work day, and I have to be honest; I may not make it to Friday afternoon. As some would be wont to say, "I'm in over my head".

I'm hoping a good night's sleep will make me feel better physically. Mentally, I'm not sure. A friend that I've known for 24+ years is dying. You have to understand, he's had a 'death wish' for some time now. He's diabetic and he also knows just how much extra insulin to take so he can eat a box of donuts. Pretty scary, huh?

Well, the doctors have been trying to save him but his heart is pretty much done. He's already had a quad bypass done and numerous stents put it. Last I heard, his heart rate was down as was his blood pressure and he was intubated to keep him oxygenated. Since I am not family, I cannot go see him. Kaiser Hospital, however saw fit to call me and ask me to authorize a procedure for him! He does have a niece that lives nearby, by the way. It was probably due to my being on his contact list.

So, that's my report for today, with this exception. My vehicle has a new addition since I last drove it. See if you can spot the addition.


This is despite the fact the guys at work 'Strip Mined' my truck while I was gone. They even took my personal jacket! Grrr!!!


Kellan, the old warhorse

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Well, just sitting here, working on a few stories to try to get everything just so.

As most of you know, I have attended Further Confusion a few years in a row now. Since the last con, my daughter and I have decided to make fursuits! Yep, you heard it here, We're going suiting! We have even garnered the support of my Tigress in this endeavor. As a side note, I will be posting the progress as we go, showing the good, the bad and the ugly. I'll be adding a new category on my website to post the progress.

My daughter's first suit will be a canid, white with some minimal black markings. Not too hard, I suppose. My first suit will be a Pronghorn Antelope named Buck Hunter. He will be done complete with a fluorescent orange hunter's vest, a 'human tag' hanging from his vest and an 'obviously fake' double barreled 'Fudd Gun' over his shoulder. It should be interesting.

Lastly, I've finally recovered (for the most part) from that dratted flu/cough/chest congestion that I have been suffering from since the 20th of December. I hope that those of you that got stricken by this have recovered. That goes double for my friend Aslaug.

Y'all take care and be well,

Kellan, the (tired) old warhorse

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pushing The Envelope ...

OK, I'll go ahead and admit it, I'm in over my head here. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

I was asked by my brother to cook an apricot pie for Thanksgiving dinner at his place. Not a fresh apricot pie but a dried apricot pie made with dried California apricots It's been a while since I have done any baking to speak of so I'll be winging this one for sure. For those interested, here's the recipe, courtesy of my niece Karen

Apricot Pie by Karen, modified by Kellan, the old warhorse.

This pie, rather than being made from fresh apricots that would be unavailable at this time of the year, it's made from dried apricots instead. The fruit is somewhat chunked in the pie and it's flavored to be sweet and tart at the same time. It was a family tradition for Thanksgiving and Christmas when I was growing up. When my mother passed away, she took the recipe with her but after years of trial and error by Karen and myself, we have reconstructed the recipe.

Ingredients: (Sorry Aslaug, if I messed up on the conversions to metric for you)

  • 1 pound (.45 kg) of dried California apricots. Don't use Mediterranean 'cots because the pie will be different-a whole 'nother taste! (note* This actually worked out to 18 oz. of apricots, Sun Maid brand that came in 6 oz. packages)
  • 3/4 cups (177 ml) of sugar
  • 3 cups (710 ml) water
  • 1 tsp. (5 ml) cornstarch
  • Pastry for 1 pie shell and top (9" to 9.5" pan)


Put apricots, sugar, water in a pot and bring it to a boil. Lower to a simmer for 45 minutes or until the filling is the consistency of warm, chunky jam. This cooking down process needs to be done uncovered to partly break down the apricots so you will need to add water from time to time.

Once the filling is at that proper consistency, put the cornstarch in 1/4 cup (60 ml) of cold water and stir in. This will thicken the filling for you. Cook for a about 10 more minutes until thickened and allow to cool. While the filling is cooling to room temperature, prepare lower shell and have it at the ready along with the top. You may make your pie dough from scratch or from a mix, your choice.

Put the filling into the pie shell and cover with the top, being sure to put at least 4 steam holes in it. Cook for about 45 minutes at 400 degrees or until the crust is golden brown. It will help if you cover the edges of the pie with foil or a burn ring to keep the edges from getting burnt.This pie will need to cool before being served. You will know that you thickened it properly when the filling stays completely inside the slice when served.

This is it, ladies and gentlemen. Your mileage may vary. I will report on the progress as I go. Stay tuned, y'all hear!


Note* Edited recipe quantities

Posted by Kellan Meig'h at 10:08 PM
Edited on: Saturday, November 29, 2008 11:38 AM
Categories: Computing, Cooking, Family, Friends, General Blogging, Humor, Over My Head, Writings