« February 2011 | Main | December 2010 »

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Health Update

So, here's an update on things;

right now, my Tigress and I should be at a Burns Supper, enjoying good company, haggis, neeps, tatties and a wee bit 'o single malt whiskey. But no, here we are at home because the old warhorse is sick.

I have now made three trips to the emergency room with this kidney stone and I am no closer to having the stone broken up than I was at the first. Let me elaborate while I'm still lucid enough to do so.

After the first trip to the emergency room eight days ago on 1/21, I was left with the impression that I would be seen by a Urologist by the following Monday or Tuesday. What did transpire was a call on Monday, informing me of an appointment on 2/1(!) to be evaluated. Insane, huh?

After much complaining, I was granted an appointment for 1/27. Yeah, six days after the fact. In the meantime, I had to make a second trip to the emergency room due to unmanageable pain. I went to the appointment on 1/27, only to be left with more false hope. Made another trip to the emergency room that afternoon, too. That marks the third trip that I have endured. The arms are getting beat up by the numerous attempts as putting IV's in my body.

Okay, so I thought this urologist was on the up and up, so I took his statement at face value that they would get me into Oakland's facilities to get this stone broke up fairly quickly. Friday came and no call with an appointment. I called up to Oakland only to find out that my urologist had not contacted them and at any rate, it would be weeks before I am given an appointment. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?

So, here I am, in a drug-induced haze, just hoping for a quick end to this. It is apparent that Kaiser-Permanente does not care one bit just how bad I'm suffering. The did offer to do surgery to install a shunt to bypass things. Hey, if you're already in there, why not just go for the stone? Am I missing something here? My wife seems to think that the shunt (stent) would hold things open so I could urinate until the stone is broken up but that makes no sense. I mean, come on, it's blocked for fuck's sake! How is holding things open below it gonna help things? The fucking stone is the blockage!!

I'm in pain again, as you might guess. Actually, I'm thinking I might need yet another trip to the emergency room for a round of stiff pain meds.

Gah, I'm so fucking sick right now . . .

Kellan, the sick old warhorse

Monday, January 24, 2011

Redemption Chapter 05 and a health update

Well, here it is

"Redemption" chapter 05 

It's not the best chapter I have ever hacked out but I think it serves well for the needed story progression.


By the way, I've been diagnosed with an 8 millimeter kidney stone that will have to be broken up to be able to pass it out of my system. This one's too large to pass by itself, according to the doctor that treated me in the emergency room last Friday night. The problem is, I don't know if I can work with this, since I need to take pain meds (oxycodone) every 4 hours. Well, I'll try going to work tomorrow and see how it works out. I won't be seen by the Urologist until the first of February. I know, insane, isn't it?

Kellan, the very sick old warhorse.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Not The Way To Start The Year

Okay, this is no way to start the New Year.

Yesterday evening, my Tigress brought home Friday Dinner, a 6" Subway BMT. Tasty, enjoyable as always except when I had finished it, I had a sharp stomach ache start. This one was different, however. Besides the stomach ache, I was hurting in the vicinity of my left kidney.

The pain worsened, eventually leading to losing my dinner. You know, 'Driving the porcelain bus'. The pain continued to increase in intensity, leading to a trip to the Emergency Room.

The staff had a tough time getting me comfortable, eventually resorting to something much stronger than morphine. A cat scan revealed an eight millimeter(!) kidney stone. Yeah, not good.

They sent me home in hopes that I will pass the stone but I'm sure that's not likely. That means early next week, I'll have to have the stone broken up.

The pain pills have left me in a huge, San Francisco type of fog, so I had to wait until I was somewhat straight to type this. In a little bit, I'll be taking another pain pill and go back into the heavy fog again.

And how was your weekend?

Kellan, the old (hurting) warhorse

Posted by Kellan Meig'h at 2:02 PM
Categories: Family, Friends, Ranting